Free Hit Counter
Free Co
unter

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Finally got a deer!

Poppy's Deer
After 33 years I finally get my deer. It was a spiker that had the horns split that I believe would count as a 4 point buck. It is true that I have not been hunting regularly for those 33 years. But I finally brought home some venison for my family, especially for Denise because she loves it so much. But she was still a little sad to see the deer dead in back of the pick-up.




Nana's Supper

Denise's boss, Russ, has been so gracious to let me hunt on his land and in essence shoot his deer. Because he had seen that same deer recently while hunting in bow season. I had bought a landowner's doe permit in addition to the buck license. The first two deer I had seen that afternoon were, in fact, does. I was looking sorta behind me watching the does when I looked back to where I was actually hunting there was movement. I knew right away it was a deer but when I looked through the scope I saw the horns.



A Happy Dan & Russ

The buck was broadside when I first saw it but about 100 yards away. Then it started heading right towards me not offering a very good kill shot. So not wanting to wound the deer, I let it travel towards me hoping it would turn broadside. When it got about 60 yards away it finally got fairly broadside so I aimed and squeezed the trigger. What I saw next kinda sickened me....he took off like there was no tomorrow. I thought how in the world did I completely miss him. So after waiting about 10-15 minutes, I finally start looking for blood. There was no blood to be found. I tried to follow the path that I saw him high-tail it to the woods but still nothing. I decided to look into the woods and thought I saw a clump of snow. But it was 47 degrees outside. There had been no snow. Upon further investigation I realized it was that hind end of the buck. That was a huge relief.

It would only be fitting if I saved those horns to give to my first born grandson....not that they are huge or anything but to represent the great year in the Miller family.







6 comments:

the monkeys' mama said...

congratulations!!! I love the picture of Mama Miller holding the deer. I'm not sure i could have gotten that close!

Love, allie

Kim said...

Nana sure doesn't look TOO sad next to the deer! I think it would be very sweet for Ryan to have the antlers as a keepsake. Although, I will not say that maybe someday he will go hunting with you because I am not ready to even imagine him being that old! Keep the posts coming!!

Anonymous said...

Looks tasty to me. Congrats. on the deer. I'll bet you've fried some up already. yum
darleen

Lauren and Jeff said...

You look very happy, Uncle Dan! We're proud of you for sticking with it for 33 years. Persistence pays off!

Mindy/Harper said...

Harper wanted me to ask why the grandson gets the horns?? She said she will let it slide this time, though.

Dad and Mom Miller said...

I know...Mindy and Harper,,I guess it's still a guys world. haha...but you are the cutest cuppycake in the world!!