Free Hit Counter
Free Co
unter

Friday, September 21, 2007

Take your wife & daughter to work day(s).


I have a unique job to say the least. A lot of you, at first, did not understand how my job worked. Maybe you still don't. But it does have a few perks. Like take your wife to work day (or week). In the past 20 years I have been able to bring my wife and/or children for a trip on the boat. I have taken advantage of this in the past...Lucas went from Rogers City to Cedarville about 4 hours. Logan went from Rogers City to Duluth and back to the Soo Locks. Denise has been able to go on the boat a number of times. (Thank you P Dot for watching the kids.) My favorite was when she came on the Calcite II and it was our anniversary. The boat was going thru the Detroit River. (Remember that is where the world's only floating post office is located.) I called ahead and had the "Flower Lady" ( A woman with a flower shop who send flowers to alot of the boats on special days like Father's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving,Christmas, etc...) send a bouquet of flowers sent to the boat by way of the floating post office or AKA.. J.W. Westcott. They came while we were sleeping and put just outside our room but when I got up for work I put them in our room. When she woke up in the dark she could not figure out where that smell was coming from.
Well, Denise has not been able to come aboard for a few years due to work and other things. Plus, the last time she came on the boat was rolling quite a bit. Denise pulled a "Debbie". She did not feel very well.
Anyway, this past Labor Day weekend she was able to come aboard for 3 days as her boss was out of town giving her some time off. She came aboard at Stoneport and we went to Detroit to unload stone and then back to Stoneport. We even had a visitor at Detroit. Loralee came to see us. But to come to the boat the J.W. Wescott must bring you from under the Ambassador Bridge to our dock at Zug Island. About a 20-30 minute ride. We had high hopes that she would be able to ride with us up to Stoneport but the boat took longer to unload than usual and she needed to make sure she could get back to work on Tuesday. But she did get to spend the day with us and was treated to a nice supper of filet mignon.

As Loralee has never been on the boat while it was moving I am hoping to get her on before I retire. I have a few more years to make this happen if she will still be willing and able.
I was hoping Denise would put this post up with some pictures of the trip but she probably is too busy. Maybe I can edit this when I get home to add some pictures because I know how you all like pictures on the blogs.
That is all for now...wait a minute... what about the trivia question and the interesting fact.

Interesting fact #9...A duck can not walk without bobbing it's head.

Trivia Question #9...Where in American history was printed the motto: "Mind your own business"?

Good Luck Denise , Lauren, Darleen, and anyone else that would like to play our game.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan,
The answer to your ? is in 1787 the US minted a copper coin with the motto Mind Your Own Business.
I like your blog showing you and Denise in the big chair and Loralee at the wheel.
Bye Love Ya
darleen

Anonymous said...

I got the answer too but Dan wouldn't let me post it, he wanted Lauren and Darleen to get it. Lauren has to get back into this we enjoy her comments and participation!!! Hi Sweetie, vacation almost here. xo

Lauren and Jeff said...

I'm in it - you guys are just too fast! People have to work ya know! :P

That's pretty awesome that you can take people on the boat with you. I would have guessed it was against the rules or something.

Also, the boat looks a lot nicer than how I've always pictured it in my mind. But maybe you only took pics of the pretty parts. :)

~IndyNiece