Free Hit Counter
Free Co
unter

Monday, December 7, 2009

The Present and the Past!


The John G Munson (Poppy's Boat right now)

We are getting ready for a big storm coming our way. The weather reports are calling for a winter storm warning starting tomorrow evening. Lots of wind and anywhere from 8-14 inches of snow. Poppy had to go back to the boat Saturday morning and today they got their lay-up orders. It will be great if they don't anchor for bad weather but it already is starting to get really bad so I have a feeling it will cause them to lay-up later than expected. The date right now is the 18 th of December, which is really early. Pray for them to get home before Christmas! It would be nice for all the guys to get home instead of just a few.


Great Grandpa's 80th Birthday Party!


I can't help but think of Great Grandpa at this special time of the year. This is a picture of us with him when he turned 80 years old. He loved that party. A friend of his told me one day that he said to him after this birthday party, "I have the best kids and family in the world." I believe he really meant that. Grandpa sometime had a hard time showing feelings, emotions, but I think alot of men that grew up in that era had the same problem. One of the last things he told me before he passed away was "I had a wonderful life." He was a very content man who loved the simple things in life. A creature of habit!! I miss him everyday but am at peace that he spends his time with our Heavenly Father instead of us now. I sent my dad a card one time telling him Thank you for his time in the service when he fought for our country in World War II. I think that might have been his favorite card from me ever. Ryan you can be proud that you were named after your Great Grandpa, he would have loved you, Allie, and Harper beyond words. And you can also be proud that you were named after your mommy's whole family, they are the BEST!!

Another thing I was thinking about tonight was the fun we had one Christmas in the kitchen making Sugar Cookies. I have always had a downfall, and it is COOKIES! Hot cookies out of the oven and a cold glass of milk. Sugar Cookies are one of my favorite cookies but I hate to make them by myself. It just isn't fun making them all by yourself. You have to pick out the cut-out you want, the color of frosting, with sprinkles or not. Just too many decisions to do alone. I think someday they will be the most fun cookie to make with my grandkids, we will just make a mess and eat them all. :)


Great Grandma, Kim,(Mommy), and Aunt LaLa


Another person I was thinking about tonight was Aunt Darleen. What would we have done without her all these years. Not only has she been a great sister/friend but she has done so much for me and my kids. I think back over the years, every event we had she was a big part. She always made Halloween costumes for them, because I didn't know how to sew or wasn't really creative in that area and yes it was a big deal because my kids loved Halloween and getting dressed up. One of my kids (Lucas) always wanted to be something very creative and that is where Aunt Darleen came in. Another area she has been so helpful is our weddings. She helped everyone of her nieces with flowers or decorating. But my favorite part of her is that no matter what event, or big deal that is happening in your life, she is just as happy and excited as you are. I owe her a big Thank-you for everything over the years. And we can't forget about all the bread Great Grandma has made and gleasons. That goes without saying how much we have all appreciated that. I love her story about helping Kim learn to make bread. She always tells everyone that Kim was anxious that day to watch as Grandma started making the bread, and she said " get your hands in the dough that is the only way you can learn to make bread."
Aunt Darleen & Ryan
I think there is another blog coming soon if the big blizzard hits!! We'll see!


7 comments:

Dan Miller said...

Wow, Denise. Your posts are starting to rival Kim's posts. Very good. I concur on everything. It brought back a lot of very good memories.

Lauren and Jeff said...

Absolutely we will pray for all the men to be home with their families at Christmas. Amen.

ldmiller said...

Great blog, mom. But I think it's time to update your picture in the upper right corner. Half of our family is missing!

Kim said...

An absolutely beautiful post. We'll pray Dan is home before Christmas. We love you!

Anonymous said...

I Know I need to update that picture. I think we will have one from one of the weddings soon. Thanks for the tip. ;)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the kind words, but it is my pleasure to use my God given talents whenever I'm needed. And the blog about dad made me cry. I miss him to everyday, and probably always will.
I love you,
darleen

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the kind words, but it is my pleasure to use my God given talents whenever I'm needed. And the blog about dad made me cry. I miss him to everyday, and probably always will.
I love you,
darleen