Free Hit Counter
Free Co
unter

Sunday, July 8, 2007

Fun Days in Rogers City

Rogers City had a Independece Day type celebration on Friday July 6th. I was lucky enough to be loading stone at Stoneport, MI (30 miles away). We were at anchor just before that for about 16 hours while we waited for another boat to finish unloading before we could get space at the dock. I got home and found Loralee, P. Dot and Darleen at the house waiting for Denise to get home from work. P. Dot was making her famous and the family's favorite meal, Gleasons. That in itself was fantastic enough but Pat came over to join us for supper and after supper we played a little of the golf game in our back yard. Pat and Denise were champions for the day. Then we decided to go down to the Lakside Park where the group "Chasing Steel" was preforming a free concert. This was a bluegrass band of four men (three were brothers) from the U.P. They were not playing my favorite type music but Loralee was really getting into it. I'm not an expert in music but I thought they were pretty good if you liked that type of music. There was a pretty big crowd there for Rogers City. There was even a few that were from Onaway and Tower. In fact even Minnie and Merv were there. There was a big fish boil going on all day there. And a big slide for the kids. I guess they were displaying the big equipment at Calcite Plant at the gate. Many people were getting their picture taken in front of these huge pieces of machinery.

The day was topped off with a very nice fireworks display. All in all, it was a very nice break. I am glad I got the 3rd mate to work my shift so I could get more time at home.



And now for the answer for trivia question #5: The answer was supposed to be Broccoli but more information was found to support artichoke for an answer, also. So Denise and Darleen were both correct.



Now interesting fact #7: Mosquitos are attracted to people who just ate bananas.



Trivia question #7: What two animals can not walk backward?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It has to be a cat because they are stupid...and a kangaroo. I would say an emuu but I don't even know what that is. Nice Blog...too bad your kids wouldn't leave you a message or 2. xo xo DENISE

Lauren and Jeff said...

Dan - That's wonderful that you got a little time with the fam on the 4th! I never would have pegged Loralee as a blue grass fan, but I'm sure there's lots I don't know about the many Millers.

Jeff and I spent the 4th at our friends' house swimming and grilling brats. No fireworks for us this year, but we enjoyed the day off in the middle of the week anyway.

Happy sailing! ~ IndyNiece

Lauren and Jeff said...

Oh, I almost forgot ... Emu and Kangaroo can't walk backward.

:) ~ IndyNiece